- Full title:Pan-European Response to the Impacts Of COVID-19 and Future Pandemics and Epidemics (PERISCOPE)
- Duration: 1 November 2020 to 31 October 2023; 36 months
- Status: Ongoing
- Funding programme: Horizon 2020 - The European Union Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (Grant agreement: 101016233)
*PERISCOPE is funded under the Coronavirus Global Response initiative launched in May 2020 by the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.
What will the project do?
- PERISCOPE will investigate the broad socio-economic and behavioural impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, to make Europe more resilient and prepared for future large-scale risks.
- The project gathers a multidisciplinary consortium of experts to cover all aspects of the current outbreak - clinic and epidemiologic; socio-economic and political; statistical and technological.
What are the expected outcomes?
- The objective is to map and analyse the unintended impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak; develop solutions and guidance for policymakers and health authorities on how to mitigate the impact of the outbreak; enhance Europe’s preparedness for future similar events; and reflect on the future multi-level governance in health and other domains affected by the outbreak.
- PERISCOPE will:
- gather data on the broad impacts of COVID-19 to develop a comprehensive, user-friendly, openly accessible COVID Atlas, which should become a reference tool for researchers and policymakers, and a dynamic source of information to disseminate to the general public;
- perform innovative statistical analysis on the collected data, with the help of various methods including machine learning tools;
- identify successful practices and approaches adopted at the local level, which could be scaled up at the pan-European level for a better containment of the pandemic and its related socio-economic impacts;
- develop guidance for policymakers at all levels of government, to enhance Europe’s preparedness for future similar events and proposed reforms in the multi-level governance of health.
What is EPFs’ role?
- EPF, along with the other partners of the consortium, will carry out theoretical and experimental research to contribute to a deeper understanding of the short- and long-term impacts of the pandemic and the measures adopted to contain it.
- Specifically, we will contribute to the work streams on analysing the socioeconomic impacts of the pandemic ; developing best and next practice guides to ensure the resilience and sustainability of innovative public policies ; developing holistic policy guidance for resilience and sustainability ; contributing to training and education programmes ; and working together with partners on the project’s wider outreach and dissemination activities. These research-intensive activities will allow the consortium to propose measures to prepare Europe for future pandemics and epidemics in a relatively short timeline.
EPF will work on the socio-economic aspects affecting the patient community, on indirect health impact, and to inform technology design and data governance from a patient perspective and on trainings targeting lay people.
- To do this, EPF will consult with its diverse membership across Europe to gather patient views and real experiences during the pandemic, and will channel these to inform decision making in public health, health related research and to ensure that patients’ experiences throughout this pandemic are meaningfully represented in the various analyses and outcomes of this project.
Why does this matter for patients?
- Understanding the short and long term impacts of the pandemic, as well as across a range of measures, can help us to:
- improve access to care for patients in the event of a future pandemic or health emergency;
- compare, contrast and build on best practices that are identified in the project to create a preparedness framework for the future;
- deliver trainings to laypersons, patients, patient organisations and carers to capacitate them with the tools to prepare for future health shocks.
- This is important so that we may be better prepared, able to respond, and maintain a continuity of care in the event of a future health crisis.
- The consortium is composed of 32 partners research infrastructure, academic representatives of new prospective member countries as well as umbrella organisations representing the patients’ voice and biotech companies.
- Universita Degli Studi Di Pavia (UNIPV), Pavia, Italy,
- Centre For European Policy Studies (CEPS), Bruxelles, Belgium
- Sociedade Portuguesa De Inovacao Consultadoria Empresarial Efomento Da Inovacao Sa (SPI), Porto, Portugal
- Federation Europeenne Des Academiesde Medecine (FEAM), Bruxelles, Belgium
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitatfrankfurt Am Main (GUF), Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
- Technische Universiteit Delft (TU Delft), Delft Netherlands
- Politecnico Di Milano (POLIMI), Milano, Italy
- London School Of Economics And Political Science (LSE), London, United Kingdom
- Universita Degli Studi Di Trento (UNITN), Trento, Italy,
- Universidad Politecnica De Madrid (UPM), Madrid, Spain
- Assistance Publique Hopitaux De Paris (APHP), Paris, France
- Fondazione Irccs Policlinico San Matteo (IRCCS OSM), Pavia, Italy
- Istituto Per L'interscambio Scientifico (I.S.I), Torino, Italy
- Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM), Muenchen, Germany
- European Regional And Local Health Authorities Asbl (EUREGHA), Bruxelles, Belgium
- Federation Europeenne Des Hopitaux Et Des Soins De Sante (HOPE) Bruxelles, Belgium,
- Agencia De Qualitat I Avaluacio Sanitaries De Catalunya (AQUAS), Barcelona, Spain
- Preduzece Za Informacione Tehnologije I Elektronsko Trgovanje Belit Doo (BELIT), Beograd, Serbia
- Modefinance Srl (MODEFINANCE SRL), Trieste, Italy
- Genegis Gi Srl (GENEGIS), Milano, Italy
- European Patients’ Forum (EPF), Brussels, Belgium
- Ecole Des Hautes Etudes En Sante Publique (EHESP), Rennes, France
- Mental Health Europe - Sante Mentale Europe (MHE-SME), Bruxelles, Belgium
- Narodni Ustav Dusevniho Zdravi (NUDZ), ,Klecany Czech Republic
- Agora Sa (AGORA), Warszawa, Poland
- 2karolinska Institutet (KI), Stockholm, Sweden
- Handelshogskolan I Stockholm (SSE), Stockholm, Sweden
- Universita Della Svizzera Italiana (USI), Lugano, Switzerland
- Universiteit Gent (UGENT), Gent, Belgium
- Institut National De La Sante Et De La Recherche Medicale (INSERM), Paris, France
- Institut Fuer Hoehere Studien - Institute For Advanced Studies (Ihs) Wien, Austria
- Institutul De Virusologie Stefan S. Nicolau (IVN), Bucuresti, Romania
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT, VISIT THE PROJECT WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Project website https://periscopeproject.eu/
- Twitter @PER1SCOPE_EU
- Linkedin Page linkedin.com/company/periscopeproject/
- Instagram @periscope_project
- Podcast episodes