The Summer Training Course for Young Patient Advocates (STYPA) is a European Patients’ Forum (EPF) training dedicated to young patient advocates (18-30 years old).
STYPA is an exciting and unique opportunity offering a tailored high-quality course for young patients or representatives of young patients, providing the space to dive deeper into the delicate topic of sexual health and well-being for young people with chronic conditions. Some of the focus topics of the 2022 edition included:
- What is the best way to talk to your healthcare provider, partner or potential partners about your sexual health in regards to your chronic condition,
- Familiarizing participants with the importance of body positivity and self image,
- Enhancing the confidence of the young patients to change taboos and misperceptions about young people with chronic conditions and sex.
When and where?
- An introduction webinar was held in June 2022;
- The face-to-face meeting of STYPA 2022 was held on 14, 15, 16 and 17 July 2022, in Strasbourg, France; EPF covered travel and accommodation for all accepted participants in the course.
- Follow up workshop webinars were developed in September and October 2022;
- The training was closed with a webinar in November 2022.
Who were the participants?
All participants were:
- Young Patients with a chronic and/or lifelong illness/condition who were not affiliated with a patient organisation, or
- Young Patients with a chronic and/or lifelong illness/condition who were affiliated with a patient organisation, or
- Young Employees or volunteers of a patient organisation,
- Alternatively, a family member or carer of a patient with a chronic and/or lifelong illness/condition could take part in the course, if she or he accompanied a young person, and was actively involved in the patients’ advocacy work. The Programme can sponsored only one family member/carer per participant.
- 18 – 30 years of age at the time of applying,
- Living in Europe
The entire training was delivered in English.
Final project - Communication Principles on Young Patients & Sex
We are so pleased to announce that the final project of STYPA 2022 is here! This year's participants worked very hard on developing a wonderful set of principles to use in your communication around sex as a young patient.
Did you get curious to learn more about the communication principles? Find them here!
If you have any additional questions about the next STYPA edition, please contact EPF Secretariat member Borislava Ananieva at firstname.lastname@example.org